The CEN-CENELEC-ETSI Sector Forum on Smart and Sustainable Cities and Communities (SF-SSCC), created in January 2017, is a long-term joint group of the ESOs that acts as an advisory and coordinating body for the European standardization activities related to SSCC.
The CEN-CENELEC-ETSI Sector Forum on Smart and Sustainable Cities and Communities (SF-SSCC), created in January 2017, is a long-term joint group of the ESOs that acts as an advisory and coordinating body for European standardization activities related to SSCC.
Specifically the SF-SSCC:
- Liaise with relevant international initiatives (i.e. ISO, IEC and ITU) and prepare an overview on suitable standards already publicly available at national, European and international level
- Analyse and recommend standards for development, implementation, adaptation, or revision by CEN, CENELEC and ETSI
- Organize events on standardization activities for smart and sustainable cities open to relevant stakeholders in order to collect needs and share best practice
- Liaise and coordinate with relevant European initiatives (such as for example the European Innovation Partnership (EIP) on Smart Cities
- Identify and give due consideration to European innovation/research projects which might have an impact
- Advise stakeholders on any strategic issues and developments concerning standardization on SSCC
- Inform on latest legislative developments occurring at the EC level (if any) and on the status of standardization work undertaken by relevant European Technical Bodies
- Propose actions to raise awareness of the ESOs on the importance of standards as a key element for a smart and sustainable development of cities and communities across Europe
The SF-SSCC is composed of Members and Observers:
- CEN members (NSBs), CENELEC members (NCs) and ETSI representation
- Representatives of relevant Technical Bodies in CEN, CENELEC, ETSI
- Partner organizations of CEN and CENELEC
- Representatives of relevant ESOs’ joint advisory bodies having an interest (coordination group/focus groups/sector forum
- CEN and CENELEC Management Centre
- ETSI Secretariat
- Representatives from European cities and communities’ networks and/or related associations developers and urban professionals as agreed upon by the SF –SSCC members
- European Commission (e.g. DG GROW, DG CONNECT, DG ENER, DG ENV, DG MOVE) and EFTA Secretariat
- Representatives of ISO, IEC, ITU, JTC1
In addition, by agreement of the Sector Forum, representatives of relevant organizations may be invited, on ad-hoc exceptional basis, by the SF-SSCC Chairperson and Secretariat to attend specific meetings.
The Secretariat of the Coordination Group is provided by AFNOR, Mrs Mélanie Raimbault
The Chairperson is Dr Bernard Gindroz
The SF-SSCC has just started the activities which are built upon the results and recommendations produced by the Coordination Group that preceded.
Smart and Sustainable Coordination Group Report - full version (pdf format)
Smart and Sustainable Coordination Group Report - summary (pdf format)
The SF-SSCC will meet twice a year, implement the work plan of activities and organise open workshops/events to raise awareness on standardization for smart and sustainable cities.
Mapping of European standards and initiatives relevant to Smart Cities
The CEN-CLC-ETSI Sector Forum on Smart and Sustainable Cities and Communities (SF-SSCC) is a joint advisory group of the three European Standardization Organizations (ESOs) that provides a focal point and advise on European interests and needs relating to standardization for Smart Cities. The Sector Forum regularly liaises with relevant European initiatives such as the European Innovation Partnership on Smart Cities to identify and give due consideration to European projects, to link them with standardization.
CEN, CENELEC and ETSI have more than 100 technical committees developing standards in support to the deployment of smart cities (energy management and energy efficiency, telecommunication, data management, transport, healthcare, construction, cybersecurity, household appliances, etc.). Moreover, CEN, through its members, supports the activities of ISO/TC 268 ‘Sustainable Cities and Communities’.
The CEN-CLC-ETSI Sector Forum on Smart Cities and Communities (SF-SSCC) created a mapping which aims at listing relevant standardization activities and published standards, relevant for the development of Smart Cities. It lists also the different policy and research initiatives in this respect. This mapping is designed as a living document, to which any interested stakeholder can contribute.
Please contact Mr Constant Kohler for any question.