The aim of the CEN-CENELEC Guide 17 'Guidance for writing standards taking into account micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) needs', also referred to as the 'SME Standardization guide' is to raise awareness on the issues that may be of importance to SMEs in the development of standards and to facilitate the increased participation of SMEs in standardization work.
The CEN-CENELEC Guide 17 proposes several strategies to address SME needs in the standards drafting process. It features:
- information on the preparation of new work items;
- issues to be considered when drafting a standard;
- developing the content of the standard;
- the structure and presentation of the content;
- the implications resulting from standards;
- a final checklist helping standard writers to take into account SME needs.
To make it easier for standard writers and SMEs to read and apply the CEN-CENELEC Guide 17, various language versions of the guide are provided below free for download.
The CEN CENELEC Management Centre together with SBS organized a webinar on the use of Guide 17 by standard writers, including SMEs. The material that was used for this webinar can be downloaded: video, slides, Guide 17 can be downloaded from the list below, by clicking on your country of belonging.
For more information on standardization please see the website(s) of your national standardization body – either multi-sectoral (CEN) or electrotechnical (CENELEC).
Download CEN-CENELEC Guide 17 (SME standardization guide):