A STAIR (STAIR = STAndards, Innovation and Research) platform aims to bring together standardizers, researchers and innovators in order to discuss and identify standardization needs and opportunities for a specific area of concern. The platform is not intended to develop standard-like documents but recommendations for future action. The starting initiative typically comes from one or more H2020-financed Research and/or Innovation projects.
The functioning of a STAIR platform follows principles similar to the CEN/CENELEC Workshop:
- A Member of CEN/CENELEC is committed to take the secretariat
- Direct participation of the stakeholders (open to all with an interest, subject to registration)
- Duration is limited in time
- Mixture of physical meetings with electronic exchanges in between of the registered participants
For a STAIR platform to be created it requires approval of its Terms of Reference by the CEN and/or CENELEC Technical Board, upon recommendation by STAIR.
The following STAIR platforms are currently active:
- STAIR-EMPIR - More information is on the pages 'standards & metrology'
- STAIR-IPI – originated by the H2020 HARMONI-project, this platform deals with Innovative Process Industries; should you wish to become involved, then please contact its DIN-secretary: Johann Sönke Nissen
- STAIR-AHA - originated by the H2020 PROGRESSIVE-project, this platform deals with Active and Healthy Ageing; should you wish to become involved, then please contact its UNE-secretary: Fernando Machicado Martin