As an NSB/NC, you can make a difference by engaging in research projects and integrating research with standardization. This has a number of advantages for you, researchers, businesses, and for society.
Standards can form the foundations for further developments, new research and ultimately new knowledge, creating a virtuous knowledge circle for standards and research. It is becoming increasingly important to integrate research results into standards, as well as establish new areas of standards activities. This leads to better standards and creates the potential for new business opportunities for European companies.
Advantages to you:
- Increased numbers of researchers in standardization committees;
- Potential new income source;
- Enhanced networking and interaction with other communities;
- Additional staff competence through involvement in research projects;
- Identification of new areas for standardization and new markets;
- Ability to provide new services to your stakeholders;
- Increased policy focus on your organization and standardization in general with regard to innovation.
CEN and CENELEC have taken into account the numerous EU policy initiatives calling for more links between research and standardization. To address this challenge, the CEN and CENELEC Technical Boards agreed in October 2008 to create a joint strategic Working Group to address STAndardization, Innovation and Research, in short: STAIR. The STAIR Group provides strategic advice to the two Technical Boards in order to reach an integrated approach between research, innovation and standardization.
STAIR contact point: Luc van den Berghe