The Seconded European Standardization Expert in China (SESEC) is a visibility project led by CEN and co-financed by the European Commission (EC), the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) and the three European Standardization Organisations CEN, CENELEC and ETSI (the ESOs). It builds on the experience acquired through two previous phases, SESEC I (2006-2009) and SESEC II (2009-2012).
The third phase of the SESEC project operations has started in December 2014, for a period of 36 months. The new SESEC expert, Dr Betty XU, is the interface of the European standardization community in China, acting under the guidance of a Steering Committee composed of representatives of each project partner.
Objectives of the SESEC project
Since its start, the SESEC project has enhanced visibility to the European Standardization System; increased cooperation between European and Chinese standardization bodies; and provided continued support to European industry facing standardization related issues in view of market access to China.
The third phase of the SESEC initiative will, among other aspects, focus on the exploration of standardization developments in China at provincial level.
SESEC aims to increase cooperation between Europe and China in standardization-related matters. The overall objectives of the project are to:
- promote European and international standards in China;
- improve contacts with different levels of the Chinese administration, industry and standardization bodies;
- improve the visibility and understanding of the European Standardization System (ESS) in China;
- gather regulatory and standardization intelligence.
Priority areas identified for the third phase of the SESEC project are as follows:
- IoT / M2M;
- communication networks & services;
- cyber security & digital identity;
- smart cities (including transport, power grids & metering);
- electrical & electronic products;
- general products’ safety;
- medical devices;
- energy management & environmental protection (EPBD, Eco-Design & labelling).
For more information about the project, please consult the SESEC website.
Interested in receiving updates about the project? Send us a request to receive the SESEC newsletter with the specification "SESEC newsletter".
CEN and CENELEC contact person: Mrs Zhuohua CHEN, Programme Manager, International Cooperation Unit