When: 28-29 April 2021
Where: online conference
Summary: Since 2013, the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission (JRC) and the European Standardization Organizations CEN and CENELEC have carried out an annual joint ‘foresight on standardization’ action under the Putting Science into Standards (PSIS) initiative. The PSIS initiative aims to facilitate the identification of emerging science and technology areas that could benefit from standardisation activities to enable innovation and promote industrial competitiveness.
The 2021 PSIS edition will be focusing on Organ-on-Chip (OoC) or Micro Physiological Systems (MPS), innovative devices that emulate human/animal biology and can reproduce one or more aspects of an organ’s functionality. Among other benefits, they can lead to better testing of drugs and adapted treatments to genetic diversity, ethnicity, sex and age; reduce the cost of clinical trials and replace animal testing for cosmetic products, banned in Europe since 2013.
This event aims to facilitate the exchange of views on the future development of this technology, its application areas and stakeholder needs in order to identify how European standardization can support its safe, widescale deployment, and by doing so also:
- facilitate their implementation in the current and future regulatory framework;
- support with reliable methods that are even more critical for use of OoC in emergency situations, when drug/vaccine development and testing procedures are necessary, as in the current COVID-19 drug rush;
- strengthen Europe’s position as leader in the promotion of more ethical use of animals in testing;
- help European OoC start-ups to increase their reliability and their market share.
For whom: Researchers, Innovators, Industry, Standardisers, Policy makers.
Registration: It is now closed. Keep an eye on this page for the post-event resources.
Resources: Download the event programme and brochure.
- Opening remarks by Stephen Quest (EC JRC) and Ruggero Lensi (CEN) | recording
- The present and future of Organ on Chip, Janny van den Eijnden-van Raaij (EUROoCS) | recording | presentation
- What are standards and what are they good for?, Lena Morgan (SIS) | recording | presentation
- Standardisation in the pharmaceutical industry, Marian Raschke (Bayer) | recording | presentation
- Standardisation opportunities for OoC, Monica Piergiovanni (EC JRC) | recording | presentation
- Standardisation for regulatory frameworks, Sophie Mueller (EC GROW) | recording
- Panel discussion on ways forward | recording
- Closing remarks by Ruggero Lensi (CEN) and Fabio Taucer (EC JRC) | recording
Track sessions presentations
Regulatory and data reporting
The Joint Research Centre – European Commission
The European Standardization Organizations: CEN and CENELEC
Contact: Livia MIAN, Project Manager - Innovation