CEN provides more than 200 European Standards to investigate water quality. Many of these Standards are used to support the objective of the European Union’s policy in achieving the good quality status of the European waters. There are special biological standards to make the ecological quality status of European surface waters measurable and thus provide the tools for the environmental authorities to make their decisions.
Some chemical substances pose a significant risk to the environment and to health in surface water in the EU. Therefore the European Commission established environmental quality standards to limit their quantity. And European Standards can monitor the quality of water, hence support the European legislation.
Right now we are actively working on a series of European Standards to be published very soon and that will ensure more water quality: Standards to monitor surface waters for emissions of plant protection agents (OCP), flame retardants (PBDE), anti-fouling agents for ships (TBT) and residues of fuels and oil (PAH). Some of these expected European Standards are elaborated under a standardization request from the European Commission, M/424.
In 2014, the following European and International Standards related to water quality were published:
- EN ISO 12010:2014 - Water quality - Determination of short-chain polychlorinated alkanes (SCCPs) in water - Method using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) and negative-ion chemical ionization (NCI) (ISO 12010:2012)
- EN 15910:2014 - Water quality - Guidance on the estimation of fish abundance with mobile hydroacoustic methods
- EN ISO 9308-1:2014 - Water quality - Enumeration of Escherichia coli and coliform bacteria - Part 1: Membrane filtration method for waters with low bacterial background flora (ISO 9308-1:2014)
- EN ISO 17994:2014 - Water quality - Requirements for the comparison of the relative recovery of microorganisms by two quantitative methods (ISO 17994:2014)
- EN 13946:2014 - Water quality - Guidance for the routine sampling and preparation of benthic diatoms from rivers and lakes
- EN 14184:2014 - Water quality - Guidance for the surveying of aquatic macrophytes in running waters
- EN 14407:2014 - Water quality - Guidance for the identification and enumeration of benthic diatom samples from rivers and lakes
- EN 16479:2014 - Water quality - Performance requirements and conformity test procedures for water monitoring equipment - Automated sampling devices (samplers) for water and waste water
- EN 16493:2014 - Water quality - Nomenclatural requirements for the recording of biodiversity data, taxonomic checklists and keys
- EN 16503:2014 - Water quality - Guidance standard on assessing the hydromorphological features of transitional and coastal waters
- EN ISO 9308-2:2014 - Water quality - Enumeration of Escherichia coli and coliform bacteria - Part 2: Most probable number method (ISO 9308-2:2012)