At a time when Europe needs more innovation in order to remain competitive on the global stage, standardization can be a bridge between research, innovation and the market, which will in turn bring significant economic benefits. According to the World Bank, one of the most important economic benefits of standards is increased productivity and innovative efficiency.
However, that's not all.
Standards support innovation by providing an important basis for developing solutions and are essential for market update.
CEN and CENELEC seek to bridge the worlds of standardization and research/innovation by the so-called “Integrated Approach”. The Integrated Approach provides a mechanism to ensure standardization is integrated in research and innovation projects. It aims at:
- raising awareness of the benefits of standardization in the research and innovation process;
- transferring research results and outcomes of innovation activities into standardization;
- fully exploiting the functions of standards for research and innovation activities in order to increase the competitiveness of the EU.
Browse our webpages to find out more about the important role that standards play, such as:
- Ensuring broad applicability of the project results
- Increasing the efficiency of research and development work
- Ensuring that developed solutions are interoperable with existing technologies or protocols